EOW #58 The templeof Solomon

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW# 58 The Temple of Solomon
    Specific Brief, I know its a lot to read. but its very specific. Be Brave, include as much as you can!

And the house which king Solomon built for the LORD, the length thereof was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof twenty cubits, and the height thereof thirty cubits.

And the porch before the temple of the house, twenty cubits was the length thereof, according to the breadth of the house; \

And for the house he made windows of narrow lights.

And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building

So he built the house, and finished it; and covered the house with beams and boards of cedar.

So Solomon built the house, and finished it.

And he built the walls of the house within with boards of cedar, both the floor of the house, and the walls of the ceiling: and he covered them on the inside with wood, and covered the floor of the house with planks of fir.

And the cedar of the house within was carved with knops and open flowers: all was cedar; there was no stone seen.
    and he overlaid it with pure gold; and so covered the altar which was of cedar.

So Solomon overlaid the house within with pure gold: and he made a partition by the chains of gold before the oracle; and he overlaid it with gold.

And the whole house he overlaid with gold, until he had finished all the house: also the whole altar that was by the oracle he overlaid with gold.

And within the oracle he made two cherubim of olive tree, each ten cubits high

And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten

And he set the cherubim within the inner house: and they stretched forth the wings of the cherubim, so that the wing of the one touched the one wall, and the wing of the other cherub touched the other wall; and their wings touched one another in the midst of the house.

And he overlaid the cherubim with gold.

And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubim and palm trees and open flowers, within and without.

And the floors of the house he overlaid with gold, within and without.

And for the entering of the oracle he made doors of olive tree: the lintel and side posts were a fifth part of the wall.

The two doors also were of olive tree; and he carved upon them carvings of cherubim and palm trees and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold, and spread gold upon the cherubim, and upon the palm trees.

basic elements. stone house covered in wood covered in gold
    big porch, with pillars
    carvings

now stop being such a bunch of whiners.... I said include as much as you can.... the text is your research..it was all laid out for you.
    any one who wants to include anything I took out feel free.
    I will accept any medium.
    Now... concept!

Due July 2

Last edited by chaosrocks; June 21st, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chaos, can we get a different topic. For one thing, it deals with religion - so right from the get go it is a delicate topic. I'd rather have a neutral topic. Also, you can't be serious giving us this amount of instructions. We're not architects, about to get out our technical pens and spend several days drawing the base with a ruler.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all i gots to say is.. WOW.... good luck with this one... brought to mind a skit the comedian Bill Cosby did years ago about Noah's conversation with God.. and "what is a cubit"... hahah funny stuff....
    and if anyone is curious
    a Cubit = An ancient form of measure, equivalent to the length from a Pharaoh's elbow to the farthest fingertip of his extended hand (roughly 45.72 centimeters).

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    difficult.
    I don't see a problem with the religious topic though.
    Dropping the long list of descriptional elements could be a start...
    Why not leave it plainly as "Solomon's Temple" and everyone can have his/her own go at it...?

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe...Im up for having a bash...better get my Cubit measuring tool out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who cares if it religion or not. just do your thing

lol @ daveneale

Last edited by -anubis-; June 21st, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah...that list might give someone a serious hedache. Reference pictures would help more I think. Here are some pictures I pulled up just for the heck of it. I think these give you a pretty good idea for a starting point. Cool topic if you ask me.

http://www.templemount.org/templesolomon.jpg
    http://www.templemount.org/stemple.jpg
    http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/cou...b43/temple.jpg
    http://www.jodensavanne.sr.org/articles/foto3a.jpg

If you prefer information overload though...feel free to read this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon's_Temple

Last edited by Trashy; June 21st, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    religious? naaa, no more religious than eating a cheese burger, infact to eat a cheese burger would be considered to some an even bigger religious taboo, but does that mean we should all stop eating beef becouse we dont wish to offend? anyway, this sounds like a good challenge, lots of scope for imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no one living has seen solomon's temple Im certainly not going to measure your drawings. I alternate specific breif with vague and general ones. Its specific breif week
    I love this description
    you seem to think thaeres not much scope for imaginantion in this. but no one knows what it actually looked like
    reference pics? 3000 (roughly ) years old?
    USE YOUR HEADS AND THINK IT THROUGH, The TExt is your reference
    REFERENCE PICS ARE NOT WHERE ITS AT! MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
    CONCEPT!

Solomon's temple is pretty well defined as to era, location and materials....
    it is also defined as beautiful.....

as far as religion, why is "gates of heaven" not a problem...but this is?

I will edit the description a bit. to make it more consise , but the topic stands
    chaos

Last edited by chaosrocks; June 21st, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking forward to doing this one. Great topic, regardless...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it!

Put aside your religios/non-religious beliefs/non-beliefs, a lot of illustrators have tried to make an archeological reproduction of how it was supposed to be, what is weird is that all the instructions are there, in the bible, old testament, jewish books and even mason books and still all of the illustrations I've seen are not following all the instructions which makes them not so accurate.

So forget about God or the devil, think of it as an Archeological illustration in search of the real Temple No. 1 (House of God), not Solomon's temple as ussually called; By the way, he built this temple for God, but later on he built several temples for all kinds of other Gods & devils from different cultures for his different wives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new and hope to join in as frequently as possible. For starters though, I do think this is a great topic, both for the topic and instructions. I'm not a concept artist by trade, but for those who are, when you get a professional job, doesn't it come with some amount of guidelines? It will be great to see how everyone works with similar rules and creates different interpretations.

As a general question for this forum. I read the FAQ's, and just wanted to check. I don't claim to be a great artist, but enjoy learning more. Part of my work flow is often creating simple or more detailed 3d geometry as an underlay for a painting, for perspective and/or shadow guidelines. Are there any problems with doing that here? Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nope
    all media area ccepted..... i include 3d in this... you can make the whole thing 3d and submit it that way if you like.... but the end result has to communicate the instructions.... and part of that is atmosphere
    good luck
    chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me make this perfectly clear....
    PLease consilidate all your WIPs in onre thread
    AND MARK IT "FINISHED" WHENYOU ARE DONE

This week
    NO DESCRIPITON REQUIRed

honestly out of 23 entries last week, only 5 were marked "finished"
    that would be a small poll if I were a mean person... But I want your work to be seen... I really do.. you just make it really difficult for me sometimes to figure out which one you want me to take to poll.....

help me out here ...thanks

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /me helps
    I'm house sitting for this week, and I'm not sure they have the innarnetz...so I think this will present me with very little distractions after work. I really need to get my ass in gear and start doing this activity.

one thing I might add. there's nothing about the pillars in your description...unless I'm an idiot and just don't see it.

where is the original description?

Last edited by Texahol; June 23rd, 2007 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bible KJV Kings 6:1

http://ebible.org/bible/kjv/

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get it... most every one is scared.... oh well... Ill give you fairy castles or something vague and fluffy next time...spaceport changing rooms
    hmmm

this is fun!

its ok I wont be tooo picky
    really .... just try to get the feeling of it

chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i think it`s just a matter of time...even if now someone is scared i think they will get try and do it just for the challange hehe i hope at least. XD
    i`ll try to do my best and do something from start to finish this time..let`s see what happens :p i like the topic by the way hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final

think its either done...or very close

Last edited by daveneale; July 2nd, 2007 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In ancient Israel during the First Temple period, the cubit was 42.81 cm.

Daveneal: i like the direction you are going! I'm not sure about the perspective though - it looks like there are 3 vanishing points, but the viewing angle doesn't seem to fit in with that. Uhhh... my vocabulary really can't deal with this sort of thing. Also the floor looks like it is curving - if it was flat you would be able to see where the pillar things connect.

This is quite an exciting topic, although I have a feeling I'll be drawing more inspiration from Indiana Jones than from actual historical sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well originally i wasnt going to do this one because of deadlines..but
    the interest is slow to generate and this could be quite fun.
    ill give it a bash.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I kinda wanted a fish-eye feel right close to the veiwpoint....the pillars are going to be covered at the base by the benches lining each side...but if it still looks wiered after that i'll tweek it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there chaosrocks, I can see you have put some effort into articulating the brief.

If I was a production designer working on this I would want some kind
    of period reference to start with. Is this a back story or specification?

Everything is related to something.

What is a cubit ? Obviously a measure of scale, but its hard to think outside
    my standard system.

Now I have read the brief a few times I might have a go...

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    I get it... most every one is scared.... oh well... Ill give you fairy castles or something vague and fluffy next time...spaceport changing rooms
    hmmm

this is fun!

its ok I wont be tooo picky
    really .... just try to get the feeling of it

chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. T says "Quit yo jibba jabba and start painting!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KING SOLOMON= period refence... I didn't really want to do all the research for you. and I really wanted people to attack this from out side the box... LIke the novels that propose St Brendan as a space traveler, and the exodus as Moses leaving the planet and Solomon as galactic over lord....
    or some thing

or do the research into Biblical time periods and archetecture.... the cubits are for propoprtion .... Im not looking for architectural renderings here.. although iof you want to do that you can.... I loved all the descriptions off the carvings....

chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashton time period? king solomons temple origins is biblical, if anyones still confused, just search in google, and if your still confused try looking in the bible, tora or even the koran, all 3 faiths mentions it, lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very generic I know..kinda hard to keep on track..
    it did inspire me this tho

BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess iam gonna end up drawing some kind of temple and then call it temple of solomon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daveneale, this is a nice representation, the "gold" really stands out. It seems though that the figure in the foreground is making a nasty hole in the composition. Maybe add some detail to the robes cast by ambient light or something. I dunno. Looks good though.
    shardana, I dig the hell out this one. Very cool.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this challenge might be too prescriptive. Even I'm having trouble getting started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers corrick....definatly needs tweeking and finer detailing before its done...thanks for the pointer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.