Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Painter X Update Release Notice...
For Mac: http://www.corel.com/akdlm/6763/down...XSP1Update.dmg
For PC: http://www.corel.com/akdlm/6763/down...XSP1Update.exe
More information regarding what's been addressed in this update is available at:
Corel Painter X Update
The overall stability and performance of Corel Painter X has been improved. The following is a list of improvements.
• There is no longer a refresh issue when switching between workspaces of varying window sizes.
• The Mixer palette and swatches are no longer independent of custom workspaces.
• The Customize Keys Preferences dialog box no longer has missing entries after workspaces are switched.
• Painter no longer becomes unstable while switching to a workspace with a hidden brush category when the variant list of the category is showing.
• The last-used workspace is now recalled between Windows Vista sessions.
• Deleted custom brush libraries no longer appear in the Workspace Manager.
Enhanced Brush Ghost
• Orientation is no longer a problem when using the RealBristle brushes with a Wacom 6D Art Pen.
• An enhanced brush ghost now shows flatness for most brushes .
Dodge and Burn
• The Dodge and Burn tools no longer record scripts at 100% opacity on Mac OS.
• The Dodge and Burn tools no longer play back as brush strokes on the Windows operating system.
• The recorded strokes of the Eraser tool now play back as Eraser strokes and not as Watercolor Brush strokes.
• Maximizing the window with Command + M (Mac OS) no longer causes the document to flicker.
• Refresh is no longer an issue with a resized Brush Creator on the Windows operating system.
• The Ctrl + Z shortcut key for AutoPainting now works correctly on Mac OS and the Windows operating system.
• Iterative Save now works when saving long filenames on Mac OS.
• The Tracker and Image portfolio and Selection palette no longer have refresh issues when resized.
• Nozzle creation on Intel Mac computers now displayed in color rather than in black.
• Long Japanese filenames no longer cause the Welcome Book to become unstable.
• Users can now cancel or save a movie as a GIF animation without causing Corel Painter to become unstable.
• The Load Brush library for the Windows operating system now displays extended characters.
• All items on the property bar for the RealBristles feature now function properly.
• On Mac OS, the length of filenames supported for opening and saving files has been increased.
Last edited by Improv; June 20th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Looks like a good update. Do you know if there are any plans to make the Color Mixer Palette re-sizable?
Opps. Sorry man, my mistake.
It didn't change Painter X version to X.1 it's just a bug fixing.
It says Painter 10.1.0.53
Yep, the version number for Painter X.1 is 10.1.053 or 10.1.0.53 depending on where you look.
In Windows, highlight the Painter X.exe file, right-click and choose Properties, click the Version tab, in the lower left panel click Product Version and in the right panel it says:
Look up to the top of the Version tab and it says:
I think Portus means in his/her opinion, it's not an UPDATE (worthy of a .1 added to the X). Tell me if I misread you, Portus.
However... that's what patches/Updates are. They include bug fixes and sometimes a few new little tidbits.
Everyone's been screaming for bug fixes and we got some with this Update.
Thanks Painter Team!
People grouse when we get new bells and whistles, 'cause they wanted bug fixes.
They grouse when we get bug fixes, 'cause they wanted to be wowed with new features.
Grousing is great fun, dontcha know?
Improv: thanks for the heads up!
What new features were needed though?
Well of course new bugs were introduced, they introduced new systems, so yeah new bugs. If they didn't add new features (which will have bugs) to Painter X and probably had to do reprogramming, then why even buy a new version to begin with?
All bugs aren't directly related to the new "features", they are the result of messy amateur programming pure and simple, just check the updated fixes list. It's been the same ever since Corel bough Painter, for every new feature they brake 5 or 7 totally random things, why do you think after all these years Painter still crashes and corrupts files (Painter 6 never did but 9 and 10 yes) for no reason? Just think about it.Well of course new bugs were introduced, they introduced new systems, so yeah new bugs.
Adobe implemented a new major brush engine in 7 and it didn't stop it from operating in the same stable way as previous versions, it's no excuse, at least to me it isn't. I use Painter 6.1 and the latest Opencanvas which is just plain awesome, I would go bananas if I had to use Painter X in my everyday work, not only it has more bugs but it's just plain unintuitive, I can never find anything in that ugly, bloated, huge UI, if it ain't broke don't fix it!If they didn't add new features (which will have bugs) to Painter X and probably had to do reprogramming, then why even buy a new version to begin with?
If you had a brush engine that worked like Photoshop, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Painter being Painter?
Also, yes they introduced a new brush engine in PS but it still handles about every brush the same way. Painter has a more complex brush engine so I do expect more things to go wrong.
I'm not saying that Painter is perfect because it is less stable than Photoshop, but there are things I can do in Painter I can't do in PS or I'd have to make a rendering result in PS versus a painting result. IE trying to simulate colored pencils works far better in Painter than Photoshop. I certainly can't do it in Open Canvas.
Im still using Painter !X.5. Most stable version for me so far
BTW, what version number does this update make of Painter X after applying it?
It's called Painter X.1 and if you look for it, the version number is:
In Windows, I right-clicked the PainterX.exe file, chose Properties, clicked the Version tab, in the left panel I clicked Product Version and in the right panel, the version number was displayed.
On OS X, it changes the version number to 10.1.0.52 instead of 53. Odd.