Level Up - Color & Light Presentation 1: Light and Value for Artists (10 topic video)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
  • Color & Light Presentation 1: Light and Value for Artists (10 topic video)

START! and continue your journey here. This second presentation covers in depth light and value theory and root principles of light and shadow. Also included is the first assignment Color and Light 1.1.

1. watch the video presentation above.
    2. begin your assignment. Color and Light 1.1
    3. upload your assignment to a thread in the assignment forum for this workshop.
    4. Level Up!

“It START's with YOU” is your assignment.

Attachment 1899902

1. Your assignment is to create a self portrait in black and white. You will be working from life and give it at least 3 hours (or as many as you can spend, but it will take a good 3 hours to observe all properties of light). You will use all the discussed properties of light, and choose which key you work in (low key, middle key, or high key).
    2. Set up your area to work. Use a mirror. Place it so it is comfortable to look and see your screen/drawing surface and the mirror at the same.
    3. When you set up your light, use only one main light source (spotlight or clamp light is preferred). Block out the window light or turn off secondary light sources so you have one key light only. Put the light in a way that you get very clear definition of mass light and mass shadow shapes. See Rembrandt and Velasquez portraits.
    4. Create a thread with the title structure as shown below and upload your works to the forums.

"Your Username - Color and Light 1.1"

5. List one observation about each property and light and shadow, which you gained from doing the assignment, in the post you make.
    example: 1. I learned that the mass light is directly related to the direction of the planes of my face, and only hits the planes which face the direction of the light source.
    6. Upload your work directly to the thread you make so they can be easily viewed. Do not post links. Submit your thread.

Tips:

-Focus on capturing and recreating the largest shapes of value first, so that you are working from broad strokes.
    -Do not waste time in the details when you are getting started. Purposely avoid rendering the "fingernails and eyelashes" or insignificant details which distract you from paying attention to the design principles.
    -Create a few sketches or thumbnails to work out the composition before you do the actual image.
    -Match the values and shapes, and edges of the shapes, as accurately as you can within the time allowed.
    -Think through the list of principles light as you work.
    -You may use any media you wish. Regardless of what you choose, remember to try to match your values and shapes the best you can in the time allowed.
    -Choose some music that matches the mood of the piece you wish to create.

Example artists to look for: Rembrandt, Velasquez, Van Dyck, Gerome,Van Gogh, Zorn, Degas, Cassatt, Repin, Mucha...there are many.

Resources:
    Tumblr
    Pinterest
    www.artrenewal.org

Purpose: By creating a self portrait we are able to work with a simple light source and study something we are familiar with at the same time...ourselves. By studying light and shadow we can better create from imagination and improve our process working from life. You have to fill up your creative gas tank with information from nature, and there is no better place to start.

Looking forward to seeing what you create!

END
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........

End.

.................................................. .................................................. ............
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Color & Light Assignment 1.1: “It START's with YOU” started by Jason Manley View original post
  • StartUp! Assignments

Jason Manley

Assignment: Composition 1.1 - "Enter the Masters"

Thread Starter: Jason Manley

START! your journey here. This first presentation covers in depth design theory and root principles of composition. Also included is the first assignment Composition 1.1. <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85299600" width="1000" height="750" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen...

Last Post By: theshunzun 3 Weeks Ago Go to last post
    David Ahmad

LevelUp! Online Workshop - Registration (Early Sign-up Discount Now!)

Thread Starter: David Ahmad

LEVEL UP! is on and you may begin! The #1 Online Art Workshop in the World by ConceptArt.org Invest in your passion. We believe in the life-long path of studying art and upping the necessary skills to succeed in the industry and in your personal artwork. Level Up is a state of the...

Last Post By: Davey Jones 2 Weeks Ago Go to last post
    Agerkvist

Agerkvist - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Agerkvist

I have the following questions: When doing this study I stuck to the 1 hour limit and obviously I struggled since I'm new at this, but I see many other people here spending much longer on each study. Should I disregard the time limit aswell or just focus on getting faster? I did this using no...

Last Post By: Jason Manley 3 Days Ago Go to last post
    SerJef

SerJef - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: SerJef

I'm very happy you are doing this Jason! You have inspired me to stop being afraid and put some art on the web for the very first time. In fact this is my first ever forum post, so I hope I don't botch anything. 1. My first study is from Rembrandt specifically "man met de gouden helm". I...

Last Post By: Jason Manley May 30th, 2014 Go to last post
    Raúl.Arbeloa

Raúl.Arbeloa - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Raúl.Arbeloa

Hi, I don't have any questions for the moment but I will appreciate any correction. I post here my firts two studies. I would probably make at least another two studies of these same artists. 1.I would like to start with Berkey for all he represents for Science Fiction and Entertainment...

Last Post By: Jason Manley 3 Days Ago Go to last post
    Rist

RIST - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Rist

Hello all.. Great to be doing this! Fantastic opportunity for improvement :D It was a very challenging beginning for me. I hope these were alright for my first studies. They were completed in Photoshop. For future studies it will be by pencil or paint as my WACOM just died :( Artist:...

Last Post By: Jason Manley June 8th, 2014 Go to last post
    samwaulu

samwaulu - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: samwaulu

Hello folks! I picked Repin's "What freedom!" for its marvelous flow and the overall luminous, translucent quality. Also took a larger bite than I could actually swallow. Haven't really painted in about three years. In one hour only produced some incoherent puddles. Simply couldn't leave it at...

Last Post By: Jason Manley June 18th, 2014 Go to last post
    Dahlia

Dahlia - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Dahlia

These were all about 1 hour. 1. 'A Soul Brought to Heaven' - Bouguereau I chose this one because it had interesting value transitions, and I thought it did a good job of bringing focus to the middle figure by making that the highest contrast area. It also has some pretty strong diagonals that...

Last Post By: ashess May 26th, 2014 Go to last post
    repius

Nikita Replyanski - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: repius

Hi everybody! Thanks a lot for one of the best lectures about composition. I'm rather new here but I've got very inspired by your Level UP! project! I may have some problems with my English, but I'll try to write my ideas in simply words and make some additional illustrations to help me:) Sorry...

Last Post By: repius 2 Hours Ago Go to last post
    ZeCarnevilCat

ZeCarnevilCat - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: ZeCarnevilCat

Hi :) I'm giving a try at this assignment since I desperately need some practice and good advice to improve my skills. 1- "THE PEARL" - Bouguereau I choose this piece because I loved the dynamic silhouette of the girl eventhough she's just kneeling. I also love the opposition between...

Last Post By: Raúl.Arbeloa 4 Days Ago Go to last post
    morningbloom915

morningbloom915 - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: morningbloom915

So this was probably the wrong choice for my first go at this assignment. I know her profile is totally wrong but I got caught up in getting the values right and when I realized it, I ran out of time to fix it. I may revisit this one at the end. I chose this piece for the economy. The background,...

Last Post By: Jason Manley June 8th, 2014 Go to last post
    strSAM

strSAM - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: strSAM

Hello This is my first attempt at drawing on a graphic tablet, so it did not work out too well;) The remaining 19 drawings, it will be hard work :) Orginal drawing : Jan Matejko - Studium głowy starca

Last Post By: Jason Manley 3 Weeks Ago Go to last post
    PixelObsession

PixelObsession - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: PixelObsession

Thanks for the video, it had some great information. I really like how Norman Rockwell used such hi-contrast lighting along with his realism. He really knows how to add drama, while leading the viewers eye wherever he wants you to look. I always struggle with getting my values right when it...

Last Post By: Jason Manley June 18th, 2014 Go to last post
    Jason Manley

Color & Light Assignment 1.1: “It START's with YOU”

Thread Starter: Jason Manley

START! and continue your journey here. This second presentation covers in depth light and value theory and root principles of light and shadow. Also included is the first assignment Color and Light 1.1. <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/85318566" width="1000" height="800" frameborder="0"...

Last Post By: Jason Manley 3 Weeks Ago Go to last post
    Demonjack123

Demonjack123 - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Demonjack123

This took me maybe a bit more than an hour (maybe close to 2? I kept getting caught up in the details even though we weren't supposed to worry about that) spaced over 3 days (first day cramps, second day pinched nerve in shoulder blade and forced myself through another pinched nerve today to finish...

Last Post By: Demonjack123 10 Hours Ago Go to last post
    dbw

dbw's composition 1.1

Thread Starter: dbw

Hello, I'm pretty inexperienced with photoshop. These "START!" exercises are forcing me to sit down and figure it out which is great. Here is my first composition exercise. This copy of an Albert Bierstadt landscape took me about 50 minutes. I noticed that he controls the viewers eye with...

Last Post By: Jason Manley May 30th, 2014 Go to last post
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook