• Color & Light Presentation 1: Light and Value for Artists (10 topic video)

START! and continue your journey here. This second presentation covers in depth light and value theory and root principles of light and shadow. Also included is the first assignment Color and Light 1.1.

1. watch the video presentation above.
    2. begin your assignment. Color and Light 1.1
    3. upload your assignment to a thread in the assignment forum for this workshop.
    4. Level Up!

“It START's with YOU” is your assignment.

Attachment 1899902

1. Your assignment is to create a self portrait in black and white. You will be working from life and give it at least 3 hours (or as many as you can spend, but it will take a good 3 hours to observe all properties of light). You will use all the discussed properties of light, and choose which key you work in (low key, middle key, or high key).
    2. Set up your area to work. Use a mirror. Place it so it is comfortable to look and see your screen/drawing surface and the mirror at the same.
    3. When you set up your light, use only one main light source (spotlight or clamp light is preferred). Block out the window light or turn off secondary light sources so you have one key light only. Put the light in a way that you get very clear definition of mass light and mass shadow shapes. See Rembrandt and Velasquez portraits.
    4. Create a thread with the title structure as shown below and upload your works to the forums.

"Your Username - Color and Light 1.1"

5. List one observation about each property and light and shadow, which you gained from doing the assignment, in the post you make.
    example: 1. I learned that the mass light is directly related to the direction of the planes of my face, and only hits the planes which face the direction of the light source.
    6. Upload your work directly to the thread you make so they can be easily viewed. Do not post links. Submit your thread.

Tips:

-Focus on capturing and recreating the largest shapes of value first, so that you are working from broad strokes.
    -Do not waste time in the details when you are getting started. Purposely avoid rendering the "fingernails and eyelashes" or insignificant details which distract you from paying attention to the design principles.
    -Create a few sketches or thumbnails to work out the composition before you do the actual image.
    -Match the values and shapes, and edges of the shapes, as accurately as you can within the time allowed.
    -Think through the list of principles light as you work.
    -You may use any media you wish. Regardless of what you choose, remember to try to match your values and shapes the best you can in the time allowed.
    -Choose some music that matches the mood of the piece you wish to create.

Example artists to look for: Rembrandt, Velasquez, Van Dyck, Gerome,Van Gogh, Zorn, Degas, Cassatt, Repin, Mucha...there are many.

Resources:
    Tumblr
    Pinterest
    www.artrenewal.org

Purpose: By creating a self portrait we are able to work with a simple light source and study something we are familiar with at the same time...ourselves. By studying light and shadow we can better create from imagination and improve our process working from life. You have to fill up your creative gas tank with information from nature, and there is no better place to start.

Looking forward to seeing what you create!

END
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........

End.

.................................................. .................................................. ............
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Color & Light Assignment 1.1: “It START's with YOU” started by Jason Manley View original post
  • StartUp! Assignments

David Ahmad

LevelUp! Online Workshop - Registration (Early Sign-up Discount Now!)

Thread Starter: David Ahmad

LEVEL UP! is on and you may begin! The #1 Online Art Workshop in the World by ConceptArt.org Invest in your passion. We believe in the life-long path of studying art and upping the necessary skills to succeed in the industry and in your personal artwork. Level Up is a state of the...

Last Post By: Mannyhaatz February 8th, 2015 Go to last post
    Drive By Uppercut

Level Up Subscription Issues

Thread Starter: Drive By Uppercut

Please post any issues you may have with the Level Up Subscription. So far they have shown great customer service as well as going above and beyond that. It is without a doubt that this community will continue to thrive for a long time, This thread can be used to post issues regarding the...

Last Post By: Keeley Thurman 6 Days Ago Go to last post
    HaematinonNigro

HaematinonNigro - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: HaematinonNigro

Study 1 - Portait of Ugolino Martelli by Bronzino Hello everyone! As you may suspect this is my first time here on conceptart-learn, i will try to do absolutely my best for these composition studies. Even if i am not a beginner i've struggled a lot, maybe because of the time (precisely 1...

Last Post By: HaematinonNigro February 3rd, 2015 Go to last post
    ltr2000

ltr2000-composition 1.1

Thread Starter: ltr2000

Hello, my name is Luis and this is my first composition for the LevelUp! Composition 1.1 I really like the contrast between parts more detailed as rocks and the rest of the image. it has great unity in the shapes and texture repetition. I had seen that is more important to see more the...

Last Post By: ltr2000 2 Weeks Ago Go to last post
    TheSwan

TheSwan - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: TheSwan

Hey guys, want to give a quick introduction here before I post - I work as a VFX artist full time but always had a passion for drawing, and designing characters, video game levels, and illustration. When I went to school initially I didn't have the confidence to attempt traditional drawing and...

Last Post By: Black Spot March 14th, 2015 Go to last post
    Lenia

Lenia - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Lenia

Hi, I'm new here :D. My background is in traditional pencils so digital painting is an exciting challenge for me. I appreciate any feedback you can give me. 1. This is my first try at one of Manet's portraits. I love the economy of his brushwork (there's next to no detail on the black...

Last Post By: Lenia 1 Week Ago Go to last post
    Scarecrow

Scarecrow - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Scarecrow

Hey everybody, It's about time I jumped on this train. I'm looking forward to some critiques! First up, Ecstasy by Maxfield Parrish. Contrast brings this one together. There's a really heavy dark foreground, but the woman's dark hair and light skin contrasting against the sky and clouds brings...

Last Post By: brusebe4st January 13th, 2015 Go to last post
    Foxandmoon

FoxandMoon - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Foxandmoon

Hi everyone, I don't know if I belong here but I really want to get better. I would appreciate the help. I hope I read the rules properly. A) I chose Edward Hopper El Bistro for my first try at this. This composition was interesting to me because of how he utilized the brights in the image...

Last Post By: Black Spot March 14th, 2015 Go to last post
    alboyer

alboyer - composition 1.1

Thread Starter: alboyer

composition 1.1 paintings from Frazetta i make a layer to break down the image using the corners of the painting to create an "x"and find the middle of the painting, only to keep everything mapped where it should go in my painting, basic grid. #1 spent about 2 hrs and extra 5 for quick...

Last Post By: clarbaden January 19th, 2015 Go to last post
    Cindyaa

Cindy A. Avelino – Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Cindyaa

Some studies of composition 1.1. I need to practice more, so I will do 20 or more. I was not worried about the details, I tried to spend more time adjusting the values and forms. I tried to spend less than one hour on each one. English is not my main language, so I will write something...

Last Post By: Cindyaa January 21st, 2015 Go to last post
    HawVie

HawVie - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: HawVie

I choose van Gogh because he's using simple brush strokes to create beautiful colored pieces. 1. Van Gogh put a lot of emphasis on the eyes by giving the eyes a lot of detail. The brush strokes are interesting. They are like a glow around him. Also gives rythm to it. There is economy in...

Last Post By: HawVie January 13th, 2015 Go to last post
    Marta Dorado

Marta Dorado - Composition 1.1

Thread Starter: Marta Dorado

This took me around three hours. Yes, I know it is too much. My mistake was to start painting the face and focusing too much on the details (despite which the result isn't big deal). I'm definitely not very happy with this one, but everybody starts somewhere :) Observations: I have noticed how...

Last Post By: Alkan January 11th, 2015 Go to last post
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook